Written by: Jonathan Simmons and Emily Downward | Last reviewed: September 2019.
- Sköldstam L, Hagfors L, Johansson G: An experimental study of a Mediterranean diet intervention for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2003, 62:208-214.
- McKellar, Gayle, et al. A pilot study of a Mediterranean-type diet intervention in female patients with rheumatoid arthritis living in areas of social deprivation in Glasgow. Annals of the rheumatic diseases 66.9 (2007): 1239-1243.
- Ann-Charlotte Elkan, Beatrice Sjöberg, Björn Kolsrud, Bo Ringertz, Ingiäld Hafström and Johan Frostegård. Gluten-free vegan diet induces decreased LDL and oxidized LDL levels and raised atheroprotective natural antibodies against phosphorylcholine in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized study Arthritis Research & Therapy, 18 March 2008.
- Hafström, I., et al. A vegan diet free of gluten improves the signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis: the effects on arthritis correlate with a reduction in antibodies to food antigens. Rheumatology 40.10 (2001): 1175-1179.
- Kjeldsen-Kragh, Jens, et al. Controlled trial of fasting and one-year vegetarian diet in rheumatoid arthritis. The Lancet 338.8772 (1991): 899-902.
- McDOUGALL, J. O. H. N., et al. Effects of a very low-fat, vegan diet in subjects with rheumatoid arthritis. The Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine 8.1 (2002): 71-75.
- Koch C. Nutrition and rheumatoid arthritis. Johns Hopkins Arthritis Center. Available at https://www.hopkinsarthritis.org/patient-corner/disease-management/rheumatoid-arthrtis-nutrition/. Accessed 6/14/18.