Community Thoughts: Favorite Inspirational Quotes
"Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate, and to humble." -Yehuda Berg
"Kind words are a creative force, a power that concurs in the building up of all that is good, and energy that showers blessings upon the world." -Lawrence G. Lovasik
When we think about words and quotes, we often think about great people and writers. They are the ones who are well acquainted with the power of words.
And it is this power of words that many of our community members look to when living with the chronic condition that is rheumatoid arthritis. So many of you have your own phrase, quote, or proverb you use as a tool to deal with chronic pain, inflammation, and all the challenges associated with RA. We decided to ask you – our community – what inspirational sayings you look to to get through the hard times.
We received an overwhelming response of over 80 comments! Here are a few that you shared:
Spunky quotes: Most of you – our community members – show the courage and determination it takes to deal with RA. What a tough lot!
These encouraging words range from things said by famous people, movies, songs, television shows, and day to day phrases.
- "KBO!" (Keep buggering on......) – Winston Churchill
- Embrace the suck
- Suck it up buttercup!!
- Keep on keeping on
- “Just keep swimming.” – Finding Nemo
- May the force be with you – Star Wars
- Fake it till you make it
- Life’s a garden. Dig it!
- May I live like the lotus, at ease in muddy waters
- “The pain passes but the beauty remains.” – Renoir
- "Fear cuts deeper than swords." – Game of Thrones
- “I get knocked down but I get up again!!” – Chumbawamba song
- “Ain't nothing gonna break my stride, ain't nothin' gonna slow me down...” – Song, Matthew Wilder
- When you are going through hell, keep going!
- Get up, dress up, show up
- “Tough times never last, but tough people do” – Robert H. Schuller
- Life is tough my darling, but so are you
- My immune system attacks itself. What’s your super power?
- “Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and the shadows fall behind you” - Walt Whitman
Quotes about keeping things in perspective and a positive attitude: Through these quotes, many of you make it clear how much it helps you to have a positive attitude.
- Laughter is the best medicine
- There is always something to be grateful for
- There are so many people who deal with much worse
- Embrace and celebrate the things you can still do - no matter how small
- I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet
- Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass....life is about learning to dance in the rain
- Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional
- I’ve learned even when I have pain, I don’t have to be one
Spiritual quotes/quotes from the Bible: Many of you look to greater sources to find the strength needed to live with RA
- One moment at a time, Sweet Jesus
- God has a plan for us all . Prayers to All with care and compassion
- God's got this
- Above all, try to keep a positive attitude and focus on those things that are uplifting (Philippians 4:6-8)
- Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand
- God - casting all your cares upon him, for he cares for you. 1Peter 5:7
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
Being realistic and mindful: We also have realists among us who believe in focusing on today and making the most out of life.
- It's okay to have a pity party once in awhile.....just don't want to stay too long
- Now the world can be an unfair place at times, but your lows will have their compliment of highs
- Change is the only thing that will never change, so even this episode will change
- Do what you can, and don't worry about what you can't.
- It's okay to have a meltdown, just don't live there. Shed a few tears and then get on with life
- Bloom where you are planted
- What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it’s supposed to be
- One day at a time
Do you have any inspirational quotes that you live by? Please share them with us!
Has having RA put a hold on your ambitions?