2nd knee replacement was tough

I found out I have mild RA and bad osteo 3 years ago. All joints are bone on bone. Last year my knee gave out and I fell through a window, scalped myself and broke my neck. Got a knee replacement 5/6/2017 and recovery was great. So, great I decided to have 2nd TKR on 9/6/2017. Oh boy. I woke from surgery and the same foot as the surgery was inflamed with gout. I could not walk. Ortho put me on Colcrys, which worked, but when physical therapy got harder another attack formed. It’s been 4 weeks and I am walking slowly. Foot still inflamed and is worse than the knee. It is much harder this time. Maybe I should’ve waited but it’s too late now.

Comments

View Comments (6)
  • Avie47 author
    1 year ago

Thanks. Each day is,a little better. Just gotta take it a day at a time.

1 year ago

Great to hear you are doing better Avie. As you move forward with the recovery, thought you might be interested in this recent article from one of our contributors on the importance of rehab: https://rheumatoidarthritis.net/living/the-importance-of-rehab/. In addition, this article from our editorial team looks at PT and Occupational Therapy, with some thoughts on goals and what to expect: https://rheumatoidarthritis.net/physical-therapy-and-occupational-therapy/. Know you are always welcome here and let us know how it is going. Best, Richard (RheumatoidArthritis.net Team)

• 2mra
    1 year ago

OPPS, sorry! I meant your foot.

• 2mra
    1 year ago

Oh that is Excellent news, Avie! I’m so happy for you. RA is painful enough without other hurtful things going on. Hoping that you keep that good stuff up and Thank You for letting us know. Your Rheumy should be pleased for the most part. She will probably suggest physical therapy for your toe. Be great if it straightens out.

I see what you mean now about the 6 month wait inbetween. Yes, for sure. My Surgeon asked when I wanted my first knee surgery. I told him 4-6 months after my hip was done since someone else had told me that. He agreed. It still seems a bit too soon for me but hopefully it will not be too painful afterwards. Take Care!!

• 2mra
    1 year ago

Hi Avie:

Goodness gracious!! Poor you! You are lucky to be alive after your accident last year.
    Hopefully, you are recovering well from that incident.

I’m sorry to hear that your second knee surgery didn’t go as well. Actually, it sounds like your knee isn’t too bad but the unexpected Gout in your foot is the problem. If I understood you correctly. I hadn’t heard of that happening after a TKR. I guess, “Expect the unexpected” runs true in this case. I don’t know much about Gout, just that it is a very painful condition. I’m, of course, hoping that your knee will heal as it should in the near future.

I do not think you made the wrong decision in getting your second knee replaced though. When it’s bone on bone, it can be very painful and a patient has no where to go but hopefully up.

I need both of my knees replaced due to OA also. One very soon. I’ve been limping for sometime already because of the knee pain and I can’t walk too far either. So I don’t see much of a choice unless I want to sit in a wheelchair much of the time. It will only get worse. I spoke to one of the Drs. on my Team and he said that a knee replacement is more painful than a hip replacement. Seriously? How can that be? I did have a hip replacement due to severe RA/RD this past spring. I’m hoping and praying that my knee replacements will be bearable for me pain-wise. We never know until afterwards.

Good luck to you in your continuing healing process ….. and “Gout Be Gone!!”

• Avie47 author
    1 year ago

Thanks. Gout is gone. Knee is great, but i am walking a lttle oddly because of the gout, so now i have to retrain my foot. My next RA Appt is Nov 10. Will be interesting what she says. I dont regret the two knee replacements but I think I shouldve waited 6 months in between. But, it’s over and I am hoping 2018 is surgery free.