Hope for Dreary

I wrote a poem that I think most of us can relate to. Please read.

Hope for Dreary

I hear it before my eyes
Even open for the day.
The rain – coming down hard.
I have a vision now of buckets
So many buckets full of rain
Just dumping all its contents
On my roof only.

Already I want to stay
In my warm, dry bed
And not deal with the day.
Dreary, cold, wet, dark
Not good incentives to want
To jump out of bed and
Face the day.

But I can linger no longer
My clock says “times up!” and
I must move or call my work
and be “sick” today.
I chose to get moving and find
Much satisfaction in overcoming
the hold that was upon me.

Bathrobe, slippers, bathroom, kitchen
I stumble along like I need a breath test.
From one movement to another.
Fulfilling the primal needs
That all mornings require.
Ending with the most basic
And welcomed…coffee.

Sitting at the kitchen table
With a warm, comforting cup
Of caffeine and a donut.
Yes, I am up for the day
And I find that it’s okay.
There is hope for the dreary
After all.

Comments

View Comments (6)
  • wannabe-healthy

That was beautifully written to express how just the weather can start us off in dread of the day. The one thing I liked was how you decided to get on out of that warm bed, and push forward. It was well worth the read, so please use your talent and write another. Just kidding, but maybe we could all try our hand in expressing ourselves with some poetry. It made me feel better this morning.
    I have to say there were days I felt like that before RA. When it got to the point I could no longer work, I still have that “guilty” feeling when I won’t make myself get up, or if I decide I’ll feel better wearing my pjs all day. Some days it is necessary, and other days I think I just give in. I’m going to stop my guilty feelings, and replace them with, it is a way to take care of me.
    Nonetheless, thanks for sharing that.
    Donna

• penabbo author

Thank you Donna. I also have Lupus along with my RA so many days of struggle for me. But I find that a positive attitude is the most important thing to have in my tool bag. Of course, there are just “those days” and you have to go with the flow. Thank you for commenting on my poem. It is one of my therapies to write about how things are going at the very moment that they are happening. It usually takes me about ten minutes to write one. Then I share it and feel better. It’s like telling friends and family how I am doing, and their positive feedback is further inspiration for me and like a balm for the pain.

• carolbaca

Thank you for the poem…im 3 mo ths into the depression of it hit me hard but this was awesome…i wish i could read more

• penabbo author

Carol,
    Surprise Visitor just posted for today. I would love to hear what you think of this one.
    Penny

• penabbo author

Hi Carol,
    Now that I have found this site (a friend suggested I come here with that poem), I am hoping to send in more submissions. I find therapy in my writings. I am so glad you liked my poem. Watch for more my friend, and good luck with your own struggles. Find an outlet if you can. Praying for you.
    Penny

• Lauren Tucker moderator

Penabbo-
    Thanks for sharing this poem with the community. I am sure others in the community will be able to resonate with this poem about mornings and RA.

We are glad to have you part of our community.
    Warmly,