Thought I was just being a wimp

About a month before my youngest child was graduating from High School, I was experiencing body aches and pains like I’d never had before. It only had started that week and I didn’t know what I had done. I just figured I’d have to work through it as everyone has issues of their own.

I’d been under a lot of stress from my place of employment recently having a merger and the threat of our losing our jobs and my mother nearing the end of her life from her health issues.   Finally in October I decided to see a doctor as I wasn’t feeling any better and it was six months of this constant pain and struggle. It didn’t take long at all to get the diagnosis. Now I am trying to learn about RA and the Methotrexate that the Rheumatologist has prescribed. I feel isolated.

Comments

• Elisabeth author

I had back surgery last week and that has relieved a lot of the pain there. Life doesn’t seem so blue right now. I can’t believe how depressed I was before this. Am getting a new RA doc in July too so hoping for someone to listen to me then too and no more “just have a new pill and shut up.” Maybe there is life yet for me!

• Elisabeth author

Well it’s been almost a year since I last posted anything! Time flies! I’m off the meth stuff as I was having some serious side effects. My physical therapy & chiropractor appointments were futile. Now on 3 different anti-inflams & a pain reliever. I’ve had 4 different injections (they work great!). Getting one lined up for my back soon. Can’t wait till spring is over as the fall & spring seasons are worse than winter & summer. Hoping for a remission. This is going to be the way it is for me (as with all RA people)so am glad I’m in my 50’s. Maybe I should try a new doctor that would at least explain some stuff to me?

• Elisabeth author

Hi! Thank you for the kind responses. It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one this has happened too. I’m learning to deal with it better too. The doctor has tried numerous anti-inflammatory type meds & now has me on Leflunomide along with my Methotrexate. I feel like a walking pharmacy. And considering I never used to take anything, even for a headache, I’m not to keen on this. Wondering what would happen if I drop everything & just learn to tough it out? This stuff can’t be good for the rest of my system. I’ve read up on the various combinations of stuff & wonder if the doctor has too? Any thoughts, suggestions, “it’s happened to me” stories, etc. would be appreciated. I guess it’s just how life will be now, so I”m dealing.

• Patricia Darstein

Hi there! Don’t feel isolated. There really are alot of us out there! Just so you know, Methotrexate does work for alot of people and there are different options for taking it. If it bothers your stomach you have the option of injecting it (which is what I did). I found the shots much easier. Basically, RA is a Pick your poison kind of disease. Everyone is different (I am finding). Best of luck…

• Damian

Hi Elisabeth.I think what you’re doing will help break down the world of isolation. Places like this & the many others on the net can help us incredibly. Good luck & may the force be with you.
    Damian

• Mariah Z. Leach moderator

Hi Elisabeth – Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story. I am so sorry that you feel so isolated and I must admit that I remember the feeling myself from when I was first diagnosed. I hope that you will find RheumatoidArthritis.net to be a great community in which to find support and understanding. You may want to check out the discussions happening on our Facebook page as well: https://www.facebook.com/RheumatoidArthritisDotNet Please remember that we are here to help and support you. Best of luck and I hope you find a treatment that brings you some relief soon!