Tell us about your symptoms and treatment experience. Take our survey here.

caret icon Back to all discussions

32 yo and looking to find others w RA like me

Hey I’m new here I’m 32 grew up in a small town in California and was diagnosed when I was 12 but I’ve had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis since I was born I’m just looking for other people who were diagnosed young and have similar life issues like me. When I was young my ra didn’t affect me as much as it does now some days I struggle to get out of bed. I’m still a pretty positive person but aside from my sister I’ve never known anyone else with my disability but I’ve always been curious

1. supernatural101, thanks for stopping by. Hope you get a chance to visit the many parts of the web site and read stories from many others who are also battling with RA and find some helpful tips to make your day go better.
    Ed B. (RheumatoidArthritis.net) Team Member.

1. Welcome to our community, supernatural and thanks for sharing a little bit more about yourself. We have many members in the group that were diagnosed at all ages so I hope others will reach out so you may connect and share similar stories.
      Like Ed said, there are many different parts of the website that you can read and participate in. If you do have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out!
      Best, Lauren (RheumatoidArthritis.net Team)

1. Hi there:

I too was diagnosed at 11 with JRA and struggled for a really long time. It is only in the last 3 years that I have been able to find some relief from the pain, daily uncertainty and inability to plan for the future. I am now 38 and live a pretty full life but struggle with the secondary effects of too much steroid use as a child (type 2 diabetes). I am now taking only Methotrexate for maintenance and it feels great to not be on a bunch of meds/biologics. Enbrel, remicade and humira all failed after awhile.

While I no longer have the daily struggle of getting out of bed or taking care of little things, I can definitely identify with and understand what you must be going through. It's tough being young and not being able to do things everyone else can do so easily. Being positive helps, but I know even that can be difficult at times.

It's good to chat with people who understand what you are going through. That certainly helps. Having a good social life where you meet people in person is also something that has made a huge difference for me. Not being able to participate in sports meant that I was a great spectator and cheerleader to my friends who did - and I got to go out and celebrate with them after, which was always a great perk.

I hope you find people to connect with and can also find some relief of your symptoms.

Misty

1. Thank you for adding to the conversation, Misty! I hope methotrexate continues to be a good fit for you. Best, Erin, RheumatoidArthritis.net Team Member.

Please read our rules before posting.