Tell us about your symptoms and treatment experience. Take our survey here.

caret icon Back to all discussions

5 yr old with jia

Has anyone tried oregeno oil? My daughter is thinking about taking my granddaughter to see someone about hollestic healing. Any suggestions?

1. Oregano oil has been used for years for medicinal purposes. It's most commonly advocated for use with candida yeast infections but also for many conditions including RA. There are no studies that demonstrate that it has any medical impact on these conditions. Read more at http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=111715

1. Thank you for your reply

1. Hi Terrie~

Many people have claimed lots of benefits from using natural and holistic options to treat their RA. However, there is no scientific evidence to support any of these natural/holistic treatments will certainly help with symptoms, so while these options are probably worth trying to see if they help, it is really important to make sure that people with autoimmune arthritis are under the care of a good rheumatologist. This is particularly important for young children whose joints are still growing. Holistic healing may actually help but, for most cases, it is usually necessary to use medications to prevent disease progression and long term joint damage. So I hope you will encourage your daughter to seek answers from both western medicine doctors as well as investigating holistic options for your granddaughter.

Also, this website is aimed primarily at those with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) - which generally affects adults more than children. You may find better information, advice, and support at a website that specifically caters to children with arthritis. The Juvenile Arthritis section of the Arthritis Foundation would be a great place to start: http://www.arthritis.org/conditions-treatments/disease-center/juvenile--arthritis/

~Mariah~

1. Thank you Mariah

Please read our rules before posting.