Back to all discussions

Felty's syndrome

My neutrophil count is 500 microgramts so my rheumatologist has told me that I'm high risk for infection. Also, I have to quit working for awhile due to this risk of infection. I have had painful, stiff joints in my fingers for a couple of year and diagnosed with RA and Felty's syndrome this week. Just wondering if I should be looking for a new job that doesn't deal with the sick.

  1. Hi ~

    This would be a really good question to ask your rheumatologist. It's your doctor's job to help you manage your illness - which includes figuring out how to incorporate your illness into various parts of your life - work, family, hobbies, etc. Your doctor should work as part of your team to help you figure out the best options for you! Because it really depends on the individual - I know people who work as nurses with RA and have no problem, but others may be more prone to illness, especially depending on what kinds of immunosuppressants are being used to help treat your RA.

    Best of luck and remember that we are here to support you!

    ~Mariah~ (Site Moderator)

    or create an account to reply.