Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

How can I treat my flare if my rheumatologist is out of the office?

I’m having a flare and my Rheumatologist is on vacation, the practice can’t fit me in for 10 days. What do I do? Will urgent care help ?

Community Answers
  • 2mra
    1 week ago

    So Sorry, that you are feeling so bad. We’ve been there too, many times. Did you put yourself on the cancellation list? Chances are, the ER will be of no help.

    Things we do when in bad pain:

    1. Take your meds as usual including ones for breakthrough pain, at appropriate times.

    2. Use warmed(or cool) bean bags on your worse joints.

    3. Put some Blue Ice or other gel or ointment that helps, on your joints.

    4. Use a T.E.N.S. machine, if you have one.

    5. Try to have a nap.

    6. Have a cup of tea.

    7. Put on your favourite music, show, etc. to help distract your mind.

    8. Say a prayer, if you pray.

    9. Take a warm shower, if you can make it up the stairs. Hang on to the railing! A shower downstairs would be ideal. I’d say, take a warm bath but I can’t get out of the tub or sit down in it, for that matter.

    10. Gently, massage your muscles, joints.

    That’s all I can think of at the moment. I surely hope that something helps you. Feel Better!!

  • Share Your Answer