caret icon Back to all discussions

How do I convince my doctor that something is wrong with me?

How do i convince my doctor that something is wrong with me? This has been a three year battle and more symptoms keep coming. My lab work is negative with the exception of ANA being positive.

  1. I am so sorry you are dealing with this, ! A good and empathetic rheumatologist makes a whole lot of difference. Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind is try to find a new rheumatologist. The Arthritis Resource Finder (in the top right corner) can help you find doctors in your area. Or ask your primary care physician if there are any other rheumys in your area.

    I thought you might like these articles: and

    All the best and please keep us updated if you like! ~Monica

    1. Hi KellyT. Sorry you are having these diagnostic issues and feeling unheard by your doctor. The fact that you have a positive antinuclear antibody test (ANA) indicates something is happening - an elevated level of this antibody can mean that the immune system is attacking itself. For your protection, we cannot provide medical advice over the internet and only a doctor can determine what particular blood work may mean. As this article from one of our contributors points out, up to 30% of those with RA are seronegative: As Monica said, it is always your right to seek a second opinion. Wishing you the best and that you find some answers soon. Richard ( Team)

      Please read our rules before posting.