Back to all discussions

Painful and swollen ankle only on left foot

Wanted to get a few opinions. I have RA in my knees, mostly the left one which makes my gait not perfect when I walk. So suddenly a few days ago, my left ankle began to really hurt during the day, and while getting ready for bed, I noticed that my left ankle was pretty swollen, and my knee was more swollen than usual. If this continues, should I see my rheumy or my primary care doc?

  1. Hi whatalife! I think it's wise that you are considering going to the physician about your ankle issue. As far as whether to see your PCP or rheumatologist, well, I think that's a call only you can make. You know your body better than anyone else and you understand your relationships with your physicians. If you suspect the ankle issues could be RA-related, you may want to see him/her first. But again, that's your call. That said, I hope our members can offer some helpful feedback for you! Good luck! Best, Erin, Team Member.

    1. Hi @whatalife!,

      I would definitely get it checked out by your Rheumatologist. It's super normal for RA to spread to more than one joint. I have it in all of my joints so it's worth having your Rheumatologist's opinion on what might be going on in your body. Good luck!

      Wishing you all the best,

      or create an account to reply.