Back to all discussions

Who do I see for joint pain?

So I was just diagnosed three weeks ago. My ankle feels like it is sprained. Do I need to see an orthopedist as well, or just my rheumatologist?

  1. As others provide their opinion,I would like to encourage you to wear your most supportive shoes. Strappy sandals or high heels can create instability when walking which can increase ankle or knee discomfort. There are newer fashionable styles than before. I hope you feel better soon.

    1. Hi megbg. Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but glad you have come to a place you can get information ans support. You don't mention if you have seen a rheumatologist yet. Either way, this article from one of our contributors on questions for the doctor may be helpful: Concerning an orthopedist, you may have cause to see one and make them part of your medical team, however, that will probably be determined by results of exams and tests from your PCP and rheumatolgist. Over time, there may be numerous additions to a RA patients medical team, such as podiatrist, physical therapist, and occupational therapist. One important thing as you move forward, as discussed in this article, is to build confidence to deal with RA: This includes confidence in your doctors and in your ability to advocate on your own behalf. Wishing you the best and know that you are always welcome here. Richard ( Team)

      or create an account to reply.