Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer



Blood test to verify RA diagnosis?

  • By sugarpine

    Hi~my rheumatologist ordered a Nucleated RBC blood test that was elevated. I was diagnosed with RA 17 years ago and had given up on rheumatologists until an endocrinologist insisted I see one, because of the prednisone I have been taking.
    This doctor seems to be trying to “undiagnose” me because I didn’t have a positive RA factor blood test. My CRP is continually elevated and I definitely have flares, subluxation in hand joints, etc.
    Does anyone know anything about this specific test?

  • By Erin Rush Moderator

    Hi sugarpine! While I do not have any personal knowledge of this specific blood test, I hope you get some feedback from our members that may have had it done. I will say that some of our members have seronegative RA, which is a form of our RA that does not reveal itself through blood tests. You can read more about it here — I hope you get some definitive answers! And if you feel uncomfortable with this physician’s care, don’t hesitate to find a new physician. It is very important to have a good partnership with your doctor, especially when you are dealing with chronic conditions like RA. Thanks for reaching out and best of luck! Best, Erin, Team Member.

  • By ktinflorida

    My understanding is that it has something to do with bone marrow. Is your white count elevated? Are you on Methotrexate?
    I know there are autoimmune diseases that effect bone marrow. Anything beyond that and I am flat out guessing. They could also use it for other things besides bone marrow. I really don’t know, but if you had the test and it was elevated, I agree that you should see the Rheumatologist. I think further explanations or testing is a good idea.
    I hope it turns out to be nothing. Please let us know.
    Take care.