Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer



Diagnosed with JuvenileRA at age 4. Now 25– do I still see a pediatric rheum?

  • By LizM

    When I was 4 I was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. I managed it through childhood with my pediatric rheumatologist, went into remission my teenage years, and have since moved across the country and come out of remission. I’m currently seeing a rheumatologist who is not pediatric, but he doesn’t seem to know much about some of my symptoms and I’m looking for someone new.

    What I’m really wondering is whether I should be looking for a pediatric rheumatologist or not. My mom says I should since I have JRA and not RA. While I see the reasoning, are the two diseases different enough for me to see a different doctor, or is the only difference the age you’re diagnosed at?

  • By ktinflorida

    I think the two are different, but an adult body is different than a child. Can you get a Rheumatologist associated with a university hospital? I think that would be your best bet. They tend to stay current and treat a wider variety of conditions. You may have to drive a little bit, but you may need to do that to at least start you on a protocol as an adult.

    Hope you find some good help.