Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer


General Discussion

Rf factor question

  • By tomdiggitty

    So ive been to ,y rheumatologist a few times so far still with no true diagnoses… i have not been able to get the anti ccp test to this date whoch is whats actually stalling the disgnoses. I was wonderkmg if anyone knows if one can have a positive rf with joimt and muscle pain and not actually have ra?

  • By Erin Rush Moderator

    Hi tomdiggitty! First off, my apologies for the delay in replying to your question! This would be a great question to ask your physician. You can also seek a second opinion if you feel as though your doctor is not a good fit for you. Please understand that I am not a physician. All I can tell you is that I have never heard of anyone on this site having elevated RF without having RA. That does not mean it may not occur, but that’s all I know.

    I do hope you can get some answer and a diagnosis very soon!

    Best, Erin, Team Member.

  • By Richard Faust Moderator

    Hi tomdiggity. As Erin said, this is a great question for your doctor. The RF antibody can occur with conditions other than RA, such as infections. This is why the anti-CCP is the preferred test. Note that most patients with the anti-CCp antibodies will also be positive for rheumatoid factor. Only a doctor can clarify this for you. Wishing you the best. Richard ( Team)